Understand Project Roles
Whether you help with planning, own specific project tasks, or are responsible for major project outputs, you have a role in its success.
- Understand the range of project roles in addition to the Project Manager
- Understand the lifecycle of a project, and how each role participates in that lifecycle
- Gain insight into the difference between technical project skills and valuable ‘people skills’
Help to ensure that the goals, scope, and resources of the project are clearly understood.
- Understand the desired end result, budget, and completion date in a simple, clear project statement
- Contribute to the list of criteria that will be used to guide the project and measure its success
- Clarify tasks to be included in the project and recommend how to organize it efficiently
- Identify the knowledge, skills, physical, and monetary resources needed for specific tasks
- Help assess costs and benefits within project tasks
Help to create the project schedule and make important contributions to risk assessment.
- Clarify your work assignments and responsibilities
- Assess task sequence to ensure work can be done in a logical order
- Understand the impact of resource availability on the project (yours and others)
- Contribute to risk assessments and help establish plans to deal with known risks
Understand expectations for involvement and communications.
- Utilize questioning and listening strategies to get the best ideas and complete information
- Examine what is required to provide needed outputs and proactively work for optimal results
- Give and receive feedback about project work in a fair, balanced way
You’ve planned the work, now work the plan.
- Help get the project going quickly, and stay on track
- Assess progress against the plan
Work with others to determine appropriate actions if issues come up
- Analyze project results and contribute to recording lessons learned
Covered if time and learner interest are available.
- Techniques for creating useful time and cost estimates
- Scheduling techniques to minimize project length and maximize outputs