Ensure that the goals, scope, and resources of the project are clearly understood and that stakeholders agree to proceed.
- Lay out the desired end result, budget, and completion date in a simple, clear project statement
- Identify criteria that will be used to guide decisions throughout the project and measure its success
- Map the work of the project and organize it into a clear work breakdown structure
- Identify the knowledge, skills, physical, and monetary resources needed to complete the work
- Compare costs and benefits to help determine whether the project is viable
Create a clear schedule and risk management plan to guide the project to success.
- Clarify work assignments and responsibilities
- Sequence project tasks to ensure all of the work is done in a logical order, as well as look at the ‘critical path’ tasks
- Lay out the project on a calendar and account for any time when resources are not available
- Finalize all resource commitments and communicate key milestone dates
- Perform a risk assessment on the plan, then design-in ways to manage the risks
- Ensure final stakeholder buy-in of the finalized plan
People in Projects
Manage involvement and expectations with stakeholders, project participants, and others.
- Utilize questioning and listening strategies to get the best ideas and complete information
- Examine how well project resources are providing needed outputs and proactively manage project work for optimal results
- Provide fair, objective feedback to people working on the project
- Project Implementation: you’ve planned the work, now work the plan.
- Ensure resources are in place and ready to start
- Track progress against the plan using milestones and status updates
- Assess issues as they arise and work with project resources and stakeholders to determine appropriate actions
- Analyze project results and capture lessons learned
Covered if time and learner interest are available.
- Criteria for selection of project managers
- Techniques for creating useful time and cost estimates
- Scheduling techniques to minimize project length and maximize outputs
- Making the best use of Microsoft Project
Download Project Management Outline